Tuesday 2 October 2007

The conversation

I just got off the phone with a student on my mentoring program who told me he was having difficulty staying motivated at the moment.

It seems to him that many of the goals he's set himself over the last year have lost their sparkle and just don't really 'do it' for him anymore.

Obviously, goals and goal setting are my 'thing' so I was genuinely interested to find out how this intelligent young man could go from super-motivated to the complete other extreme in so short a space of time.

I thought we'd start with the goals themselves, just in case they were the problem.

"Can you read me a handful of goals off of your goals list?" I asked.

"Umm...not just now" He replied.

"Why not?" I enquired, puzzled at the change I'd heard in his voice at the end of the line.

He answered like a schoolboy who'd forgotten his homework.

"I don't have it with me"

"Well that explains a fair amount of your lack of focus" I said, "What about your POWER Questions sheet? Can you read me your three morning tasks please?"

Silence, then "Umm... no, I don't have those either"

He sounded even more like the schoolboy now.

"I understand what's going on here my friend" I said. "You've not been looking at your list daily have you?"

"No..."

"And you rarely, if ever, perform the morning and evening POWER Questions right?"

"I get really busy and run out of time" He snapped defensively.

"I understand, but you need to understand something too.

It's the very act of the reading and re-reading of your goals that creates their reality. Read them just once and they've no power at all. Read them 20, 30, 40 times a week and you've got the most amazing system (The Reticular Activating System) working in your favor"

"That's the problem, I'm not sure if I believe in that" he replied.

"You don't HAVE to believe, simply suspend disbelief long enough to find out what happens when your goals live at the top of your consciousness for long enough.

Write your goals and carry them with you at all times.

Read them as many times a day as you can.

Talk about them with friends and loved ones.

Complete your POWER questions everyday.

Simply stay focused on what you want and what you want will start to appear in your life"

WWW.THEMAGICHUNDRED.COM

No comments: